Witfontein is a lovingly restored Cape Dutch farm house located in the Swartberg Private Wildlife Estate, just off Western Cape’s famous Route 62. It is one of only 2 original farmhouses on the estate.
The house is easily accessible from an ungravelled road with no need for 4WD. However 4WD is necessary to use some of the game roads within the reserve.
The Swartberg Private Wildlife Estate is an ideal place to break your journey between Cape Town and Knysna or Plettenberg Bay.
Over 40km of game trails make it an ideal place for walking or mountain biking and there are numerous dams for fishing and swimming (a bit cold in winter though), all set against the spectacular backdrop of the Swartberg Mountains.
The clear mountain air and the abundant wildlife make it a real treat for both photographers and artists.
Witfontein has a total of 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, 3 of which are en-suite.
- Bedroom 1 – king size bed and en-suite bathroom with bath, shower, wash basin and WC
- Bedrooms 2 & 3 – a family suite comprising 1 room with king size bed and another with twin single; the rooms share an en-suite shower room with shower, wash basin and WC
- Bedroom 4 – queen size bed and en-suite shower room with shower, wash basin and WC
- Bedroom 5 – double bed and adjoining bathroom with bath, shower and wash basin. There is also an adjoining WC.
- Bedrooms 1 & 5 open onto the stoep.
- Kitchen – the well equipped kitchen has a fridge-freezer, an electric hob and oven, a microwave oven, a gas hob (in case of power outages), kettle, toaster. The table in the kitchen seats 10 people and can be used for dining.
- Braai room– the kitchen opens onto a braai room, which in turn opens onto the stoep and an outside seating area. The braai area has a large table which seats 8 people. A supply of firewood is provided.
- In addition to crockery and cutlery the kitchen is also stocked with a selection of herbs and spices, cooking oil and basics like pasta and rice. You are welcome to use these items but it would be appreciated if you could replace any that you do use, especially if you finish the existing supply.
- Dining Room – The dining room has table and chairs for 8 people.
- TV Lounge – The TV lounge has comfortable couches and a TV and DVD player. There is no TV service connected.
- Reading room – The large reading room, which opens onto the stoep, has 2 large couches and an armchair.
There is an 8m x 3m swimming pool. It is unheated.
The Swartberg Private Reserve is ideally suited to lovers of outdoor activity.
- Game Drives
- Mountain biking
- Hiking – as well as walking on the reserve you can also hike to see Bushman paintings on the nearby cliffs
- Swimming – in summer some of the dams make perfect natural swimming pools
- Fishing – several of the dams offer fishing opportunities although we like to practice a policy of ‘catch and release’
Rates on request
Please note: Witfontein is only available for rent as a whole house.
Rental is usually on a self catering basis but, if requested, a catering service is available at a separate cost.
The Swartberg Wildife Estate is home to between 850-900 animals, mostly antelopes.
The species found here include: Blesbok, Springbok, Red Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Impala, Nyala, Cape Mountain Zebra, Giraffe, Gemsbok, Eland, Kafue Lechwe, Reedbuck, Waterbuck. Of these, the Lechwe, Zebra, Giraffe, Eland, Blesbok and Springbok are all regular visitors to the small Witfontein dam.
So far we have recorded 220 specis of birds.
- Swartberg Pass – A World Heritage site, just 15 minutes drive
- Kango Caves – 20 minutes drive
- Calitzdorp – a small town famed for its wine and port – 40 minutes drive
- Oudtshoorn – Centre of South Africa’s ostrich farming industry – 40 minutes drive
- George and the Garden Route – 90 minutes drive
- George Airport – 90 minutes drive